Reducing Marine Debris with Innovation
To use innovation to alleviate the issue of marine debris, SCG has collaborated with the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources (DMRC) to developed SCG-DMCR Litter Trap. Taking advantage of the principles of water flow and pressure, the lid opening mechanism has been designed to trap marine debris on the surface without allowing it to flow back out with the ebb and flow of tides. The litter trap has a maximum capacity of 700 kilograms.
Thanks to its expertise in robotics, SCG has also developed SCG Smart Litter Trap 4.0, which is enhanced by machine learning and IoT to improve marine debris collection efficiency and make it more user-friendly. In addition, it has been designed to have a solar-powered propulsion system, which helps conserve energy
SCG will continue to work with DMCR to further study marine debris management, with the ultimate goals of adding value to the collected litter and prevent further release of waste into rivers.
Key features of SCG–DMCR Litter Trap and SCG Smart Litter Trap 4.0
SCG-DMCR Litter Trap
- Grille Lid: The lid prevents the collected litter from flowing back out.
- Screen Panel: The screen prevents the litter from being dislodged by tides.
- Pontoon: The pontoon buoys up the litter trap, so that it remains at the water surface.
- PE100 Structure: The structure is made from PE100 pipes produced in excess during trial productions, lending durability to the trap.This is an example of resource maximization.
Dimension: 1.8 m. x 5 m.
Maximum capacity: 700 kg.
SCG Smart Litter Trap 4.0
- Object Recognition System: The system allows it to identify and locate specific types of debris, towards which the machine will propel itself automatically.
- Wireless communication: It can send, receive and notify data to user at the control center such as debris collection, location and equipment status.
- Conveyor Belt: The automatic conveyor belt collects litter and unloads it at a designated location.
- Eco – Friendly:The smart litter trap is solar – powered.
- Water Treatment: The aerator adds air and oxygen into the water as it moves.
*Dimension: 1.2 m x 1.5 m.
Maximum capacity: 5 kg per trip
Fore more information: http://www.allaroundplastics.com/article/news/2512